El Romero, a small sustainable restaurant in Menorca Biosphere Reserve
El Romero is a small sustainable restaurant in the charming Plaza España square of Mahón, in front of the Fish Market and the Church of El Carmen. It’s worthwhile taking a seat in the romantic and welcoming terrace, where you can enjoy a beautiful view.
We have decided not to serve meat, so fresh fish, seafood and organic seasonal vegetables are the essence of our culinary offerings. Our philosophy is to look for humble and simple products of sea and land which can tell the story of this area.
In order to offer a unique experience around the table, we prepare our dishes with love and care: we are a signature seafood restaurant with a touch of creativity and hints of kitchen garden, where authentic and delicious flavours hide out. All the fish and crustaceans that we serve come from the sea around Menorca.
Bread, oil, cheese and honey come from the farms associated to the Agroxerxa network and they connect us to the Menorca countryside.
We change the menu according to the seasonality of sea and land produce and through this cooperation with the fishing community and ‘payés’ farmers of the island we look for the roots of a sustainable, healthy and local cuisine. All our dishes on the menu are gluten free and certified as suitable for Coeliac sufferers.
Our wine cellar has the best wines in Menorca and a large selection of regional, national and international wines, all organic, bio-dynamic or natural.
- Historical centre of Mahón (near the Port of Mahón)
- Biosphere Reserve
- Starlight destination
Spanish, English, French and Italian.
Nº of seats
- Restaurant: 32
- Terrace: 36
From 25-35€ IVA tax included. Drinks separate.
- Access for people with reduced mobility
- Toilet facilities wheelchair adapted
Marks of Approval (quality and sustainability)
- Menorca Biosphere Reserve Brand
- 2 Stars FOOD MADE GOOD (The Sustainable Restaurant Association)
- Restaurant without gluten (Associació Celíacs de Catalunya)
Commitments to biodiversity conservation and local development
El Romero has committed to promoting Menorcan cuisine in a sustainable, respectful and authentic manner:
- We buy fish and seafood from local fishermen.
- We buy certified organic bread, cheese and cold meats from the producers of the Custòdia Agrària (network of agro-natural farms of Menorca) and from Agroxerxa (network of local producers).
- We reuse 93% of drinks bottles (average for Balearic Islands in 2018: 35%).
- We collaborate with the MENORCA PRESERVATION FUND to collect funds through the “One Euro per table” Project.
- Tel.: +34 651 459 018
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Web: www.elromero.bio