Mariñas Coruñesas Biosphere Reserve, Galicia Brand in its purest form.
This atypical Biosphere Reserve, very close to the Atlantic city of A Coruña, is characterized by having a heterogeneous territory where urban-rural dynamics are combined. Good communications, an excellent cultural and natural heritage, enhanced by a quality gastronomy where local and seasonal products are the true protagonist.
Water, also very present in this territory declared as Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO in 2013, offers unprecedented ecotourism experiences where this vital element is combined with the use that humans have made over the past centuries. Nature routes that hide the true spirit of Galicia, with its legends and traditions, its warm people and a Destination that combines experiences to enjoy its rivers and estuaries, one of them – the Betanzos estuary – the estuary that most enters the interior of Galicia, or the enjoyment of the waters of the Atlantic Ocean that bathe our coasts where marine tourism is encouraged.
But we are also rural Galician (“castros”, monasteries, castles, traditional roads called “Corredoiras”, surrounded by centuries-old indigenous forests. This is Mariñas Coruñesas, the first Ecotourism Destination in Galicia.
Type of protected area
Commitment to sustainable tourism
All these commitments to a model of territory and promotion of sustainable tourism are summarized in a series of milestones:
- Implementation of the Quality Mark of the Biosphere Reserve, to enhance our destination, our products and services, as a means of support and enhancement of our companies and local tourism sector.
- First Biosphere Reserve worldwide to adhere to a State Brand of Biosphere Reserves, and therefore, facilitating this process for their companies.
- The Mariñas Coruñesas e Terras do Mandeo Biosphere Reserve is part of the SICTED Network of Destinations (Tourist Quality System in Destination).
- Constitution of the Ecotourism Association of the Biosphere Reserve, in order to improve public-private collaboration and reinforce the sustainability of the experiences offered in the territory.
- Creation of the Tourist Quality Table of the Destination, as a planning and participation body for the public and private agents of the Destination.
A Coruña. Galicia. Spain
Contact details and further information
- Tél.: (0034) 981 66 95 41
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://marinasbetanzos.gal/es/