MónNatura Delta de l’Ebre – Fundació Catalunya La Pedrera
MónNatura Delta de l’Ebre is a project devised by the Fundació Catalunya La Pedrera, and inaugurated in 2012. It gives you the opportunity of taking a journey over land and sea, through fresh water and salt water, discovering the most amazing fish and birdlife…
Located in the Tancada lagoon, in an area remarkable for its wealth of wildlife, MónNatura Delta de l’Ebre lets you discover this rich natural environment in one of the most important wetlands of western Europe.
The salt, the birds, and the traditional fishing methods are the three key features of MónNatura Delta de l’Ebre, and they can all be seen in this complex of spaces which together show both the Delta’s worth and its uniqueness.
Spaces in the Center:
- The salt pans: Visit the only full-scale recreation of one of the Delta’s salt pans which is open to the public. In this area you can discover:
- How the salt pan operates and its purpose.
- The importance of salt in the history of the Delta.
- The different uses and qualities of salt, a product of great value, other than as a culinary seasoning.
- Delta space: Discover the essence of the Delta on a unique journey which shows how the Delta was formed over the centuries, and experience the changing seasons throughout a year thanks to an audiovisual presentation showing the natural and traditional worth of these wetlands. You can also experience some special moments as you watch the wildlife of the Alfacada lagoon from the partially enclosed bird observatory.
- 360˚ Lookout tower: Enjoy wonderful views from one of the best viewpoints in the area. Telescopes are at your disposal for observing the great variety of aquatic birds that live and rest in the Tancada lagoon and the old Sant Antoni salt pans. You can see species such as flamingos, terns, waders, herons, etc. From the 360˚ lookout tower you can see the different habitats typical of the Delta: the lagoon, salt pans, saltflats, beach, etc.
- Observation hut: Watch the wildlife in the old Sant Antoni salt pans, the ideal place to see waders, terns, avocets, and gulls. Also you can learn about the LIFE Delta Lagoon Project, which has led to the recovery and transformation of the environment and has reestablished the biodiversity of the area.
- Spanish toothcarp territory and salt marsh biodiversity: Discover the area’s variety of saline vegetation and the way it has evolved in order to survive in this environment. You can also visit one of the Delta’s main populations of Spanish toothcarp, a small fish endemic to the Iberian Peninsula which is now in danger of becoming extinct.
- Delts fishing techniques: This area displays the different tools and implements used traditionally for fishing at the Ebro Delta, called arts de pesca in Catalan, such as the rall (circular casting net), gàn guil (tubular net), bussó (net cage), gamber (shrimp net) and tresmall (triple net).
- Landing stage and punting zone: The typical punts used on the Ebro Delta can be found at the landing stage. You can try out this traditional means of transport and navigate the shallow waters.
Visits and activities:
- VISIT TO MÓNNATURA DELTA A visit that helps you to understand and enjoy the magic of the Ebro Delta by exploring the different areas at the centre.
- WHAT A DELTA! Complete guided tour of MónNatura Delta de l’Ebre accompanied by a local guide, following a circuit that includes all the centre’s different areas.
- A LITTLE TASTE OF THE DELTA Guided tour of the different areas at MónNatura Delta with particular emphasis on the local gastronomy. At the end of the tour, participants can enjoy a small selection of local products.
- FAMILY ACTIVITIES: Family visit and children workshops.
- NATURE ACTIVITIES: An introduction-to-ornithology tour, guided excursion to the Alfacada lagoon, special nature activities and courses, and DELTA BIRDING FESTIVAL.
Carretera del Poblenou a les Salines, s/n – 43870 Amposta (Tarragona – Spain)
Areas where it operates
La Laguna de la Tancada (Amposta) and surroundings.
European Charter for Sustainable Tourism in Protected Natural Spaces (CETS).
Catalan, Spanish, English and French.
Price of visits from 8€/adults and 4€/children
Commitment to biodiversity conservation and local development
MónNatura collaborates with various organizations and conservationist NGOs, SEO Bird Life / Riet Vell (Spanish Society of Ornithology), Picampall (Ornithological Association of the Terres de l’Ebre), ICO (Catalan Institute of Orniology)
MónNatura applies a series of good environmental practices to contribute to the sustainable activity of the center.
- Normative posters of the use of drinking water to save water.
- Light saving system when there are no people in the center.
- Separation containers for recycling.
- Use of biodegradable materials in sizes and environmental education activities.
Datos de contacto
- Phone: +34977053801
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.monnaturadelta.com