Nature Centre La Alpujarra, environmental education in the Sierra Nevada National and Natural Park
The Nature centre is a complex incorporating accommodation and common areas (dining room, swimming pool, sports facilities) in a unique natural environment in the Granada Alpujarra. We work mainly with school groups, with all-inclusive programmes.
All our facilities are carefully looked after and are immersed in a natural environment. The estate, which covers over 16 hectares, has all sorts of facilities and is constantly being improved. From the dining area, a recently built farmhouse of local stone, to the cosy log cabins, recreation room, changing rooms, swimming pool…we have all that is needed for a perfect stay, especially in groups.
The Alpujarra Nature centre, as well as accommodation and meals, offers a large range of activities.
All the environmental education activities are focused around knowledge of the surroundings, and appraisal of the history and traditional architecture of the Alpujarra, especially of nearby villages such as Bérchules, Alcútar, Narila, as well as the significance, peculiarities and characteristics of our National and Natural Parks of the Sierra Nevada:
- Educational itineraries in the area
- Forest nursery, replanting, recycling workshops
- Transformations and role-playing games
- Trekking or forest bathing
All the activities we are offer are respectful to the environment, including:
- Adventure in the trees (hanging forests)
- Mud circuit
- Survival camp building
- Zip wires
Type of accommodation
- 1 Key Touristic apartments (log cabins)
- Accommodation prepared for groups, usually occupying the entire facility.
No rooms / Capacity
The Alpujarra Nature centre has 4 40m2 cabins each with:
- 3 dormitories and 11 beds per cabin, with a total of 44 beds. There are dormitories of 4 and 6 beds.
We have one lodging adapted to reduced mobility and wheelchair use.
- The Alpujarra Nature centre is on the edge of the Sierra Nevada Natural Park. In fact, part of the estate is inside the Park, in an area of Mediterranean woodland with a medium to high density of Holm oak and Portuguese oak. There is a gorge with water flowing year round, surrounded by Chestnut, Poplar and Hackberry trees.
- The road from Trevelez to Bérchules crosses the estate, so that Coaches can stop in the heliport a few metres from the estate.
- From 34€ / person (complete programmes, including accommodation and meals)
- There are also options without accommodation and without meals, please consult.
- Stays from 2 to 7 days, with activities, full board and lodging.
Spanish and English (upon request)
Marks of approval (quality, sustainability)
- CETS European Charter for Sustainable Tourism
Commitments to biodiversity conservation and local development
The Alpujarra Nature centre is strongly committed to the environment of the Sierra Nevada National and Natural Parks:
- Our main Project is forestry based. That’s why we have a 600m square nursery, non-profit, for replanting. In some years we have produced more than 6000 saplings in the nursery, which are destined for planting or environmental awareness campaigns.
- We have established many energy saving schemes: low consumption boilers, LED lighting, etc.
- We try to buy as much as possible in local shops for the running of the Nature centre, and as far as possible we include local staff in different jobs as part of the team.
- We work intensively via European projects to bring European group leaders working in environmental education to our area, so they can visit the Park and have interesting exchanges around codes of conduct.
Cortijo Doña Ángeles-Albayar S/N. CP 18451, Bérchules (Granada)
- Tel.: +34 608 842 224
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Web: www.campamentoalpujarra.es