LA GOMERA BIOSPHERE RESERVEAND GARAJONAY NATIONAL PARK (CanaryIslands)
We invite you to experience a visit to La Gomera, an island declared in its entirety as a World Biosphere Reserve and houses the Garajonay National Park, which has also been declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco.
The island of La Gomera is of volcanic origin. The absence of eruptive activity for the last 2 million years and a climate that favours water erosion have created a craggy relief riven by deep gullies and overshadowed by impressive volcanic domes, known locally as Roques.
The Garajonay National Park is located in the island´s upper reaches. Most of the surface is covered by luxuriant evergreen forest, an element of contrast in a predominantly arid island.These forests are a veritable relic, conserving part of the flora typical of the forests that populated the Mediterranean region millions of years ago, and that have since vanished from the continent as a result of climatic changes which scarcely affected the islands.In addition, there is an important population of exclusive flora and fauna which are unique in the world, the outcome of differentiated evolution favoured by the isolation provided by the ocean.
Among the outstanding features of La Gomera, and a peculiarity of its scenery, are the terraces that climb the steep hillsides, created to provide level space for cultivation.
The coastal waters of La Gomera are one of the best places in the world for respectful whale and dolphing watching. There are several colonies of resident cetaceans and many other migratory ones. For that reason, the chances of successful sighting are always over 90%.
What it is included on this experience?
This pack is for two people including:
- 4 nights of sustainable accommodation in the surroundings of Garajonay National Park. Accordingtoavailability, you may choose between the following lodgings:
- Guided Hiking Tour.With National Park Partner Company (to choose according to availability).Walking the footpaths of La Gomera means reliving its long history. A history of people who adapted to the difficulties of broken terrain. The Gomerans wove a network of paths extending all over de island, which you can walk now, enjoying the rich landscapes, heritage and biodiversity offered by the island of La Gomera. The majority of these tracks still remain and are maintained, making up a intricate, continuous network of paths allowing a unlimited choice of routes.
- Visit Los Telares,The Ethnographic Park of La Gomera. In one location, a local handicrafts and delicatessen store, a traditional orchard and a restored Gofio Mill with a large antiques collection exhibition.Itincludeswine and local delicaciestasting.
- Whale Watching Tour. Throughout thiswhale watching tour off the coast of La Gomera, we have great opportunities and a very high chance of spectacular sightings of marine animals.It is rare that we are not lucky enough to sight cetaceans such as spotted dolphins, common dolphins, bottlenose dolphins, rough-toothed dolphins and pilot whales. Sometimes we even find sperm whales, Bryde’s whales, Blainville’s whales, and sea turtles.
- A dinner menu for two people, consisting of typical dishes from La Gomera, including starter, main course, dessert and a bottle of wine for two people. Accordingtoavailability,you may choose one of the following restaurants:
- Optional: Car rental. In addition, you may enjoy a discount of 25% for the rental of a car duringyour stay. It must be rented by the awarded person himself/herself, subject to availability.
The prize is available throughout the year.Book on advance necessary.Subject to availability.
The excursions and visits may be organised in a group of more people.